Delivering Excellence to Large Herds
For more than 130 years, DeLaval has provided exceptional service and solutions to farms of all sizes. Today, we are uniquely positioned to continue delivering on that promise with even greater attention to large herds. Whether it’s robots or a rotary parlor that will fit your farm’s efficiency and labor demands, we will find the best solution for you, supporting you from the initial concept to completion and beyond.
Fair Oaks Farms - Fair Oaks, Indiana
"I have 16,000 cows milking at Fair Oaks Farms, and as I grow that farm and other farms, I would expect that those new farms will be with robotics,” says Mike McCloskey, co-owner of Fair Oaks Farms.
Learn McCloskey’s reasons for believing robots are the future of dairy production.
Meadow Star Dairy - Pennock, Minnesota
High-performance operations need high performance equipment and for Meadow Star Dairy, that means a rotary that can milk more than 100 cows simultaneously.
See how their rotary parlor helps get the most out of their 8800-cow herd.
Friendly Acres - Attica, New York
The Sondericker family milks nearly 500 cows with eight DeLaval VMS. Since the transition to robots, production has increased by 10 pounds per cow.
Find out about the other benefits robots have brought to Friendly Acres.
Large Herd Barn Designs
Every dairy is unique, but tenets of good barn design can be shared.
- 6 key areas of large herd robotic facility design
- Largest DeLaval VMS free-flow barn in US
- The barn of the future
- DeLaval virtual farm tours
- More tips on designing your dairy
In the news
Read what the industry is saying about large herd dairy farming.
- Large Dairy Farms More Resilient – Dairy Herd Management (Jan. 2018)
- Rise of the (Cow Milking) Robots – Modern Farmer (Dec. 2016)
- Robots a Reality for Large Herds - Part 2 – The Navigator (Oct. 2016)
- 10 considerations when planning a large robotic dairy – Progressive Dairyman (Sept. 2016)
- Large farms must overcome learning curve in milking with robots – Progressive Dairyman (Sept. 2016)
- Robots a Reality for Large Herds - Part 1 – The Navigator (July 2016)
- Considerations for sizing a parlor and cow groups – Progressive Dairyman (Mar. 2016)
- An inside look at 2,500+ cow dairies: 70 pounds, $1.4M profit – Dairy Herd Management (Jan. 2016)
- Circle or straight: Is a rotary parlor right for you? – Progressive Dairyman (Sept. 2015)
- Is robotic milking a suitable solution for large dairy herds? – Progressive Dairyman (Aug. 2013)